More fires begin in the bedroom than any other room in the house. So we thought it would be a good idea to focus on how we can make this room more Fire Safe.
Tips to prevent fires starting in bedroom (or any other room):
- Do not trap electrical cords against walls where heat can build up.
- Take extra care when using portable heaters.
- Keep bedding, clothes, curtains and other fabrics at least 3 ft away from portable heaters.
- Only use lab-approved electric blankets and warmers. Make sure cords are not frayed.
- Never smoke in bed. Make the bedroom a smoke free zone.
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm in hall just outside bedroom. They save lives.
- Do not light candles and leave the room. All candles should be monitored.
- When using lamps ensure the light bulb is not touching the lamp shade.
- Never wrap or bundle cords together. This prevents the heat from dissipating, leading to a fire hazard.