Do you work in or own a Hairdressers/Beauty Salon? Do you know all the regulations surrounding Fire Safety? Below we have compiled a list of tips, recommendations and regulations to ensure a good level of Fire Safety within your Salon. This is an easy way for you to compare what is currently being done within your work space and what is expected.
Hairdressers and Salon have a high risk of electrical fires due to the large number of electrical appliances they have in use on their premises.
Some other equipment that can cause fires are: essential oils, candles, flammable chemicals (acetone), wax warmers, tumble driers etc. It is important to be aware of what can cause a fire and then carry out a risk assessment in order to make the chance of a fire being caused by one of these items as low as possible.
- Take measures to reduce the risk of fire on the premises and the risk of the spread of fire on the premises - fire doors and separation of highly flammable materials are a way to do this.
- Take measures in relation to the means of escape from the premises
- Take measures for securing that, at all times, the means of escape can be safely and effectively used - always ensure that fire exits are kept clear from obstruction
- Take measures in relation to the means for fighting fires on the premises - this includes fire extinguishers and fire blankets
- Take measures in relation to the means for detecting fire on the premises and giving warning in case of fire on the premises - this includes a Fire Alarm
- Take measures in relation to the arrangements for action to be taken in the event of fire on the premises, including—(i) measures relating to the instruction and training of employees; and(ii) measures to mitigate the effects of the fire.
Make sure you have the following installed, implemented and serviced regularly in your salon:
- Fire alarms
- Fire extinguishing equipment (Firefighting should only be undertaken if it represents no risk to the individual)
- Fire drill training
- A Fire risk assessment
For further information please refer to the most recent Fire Safety Act.
Are you meeting all of the regulations and requirements? If so great news! You can click out of this post happy! If you are not, we are more than happy to answer any questions free of charge, call us on 01-4087077. If you have more than is required in place you can also give us a call about reducing your costs!