30% of all businesses that have a major fire go out of business within a year. 70% fail within five years*. Fire prevention is the best medicine in protecting your Business.
For best protective measures, follow tips below:
- Ensure Fire Detection and Alarm System to serviced in accordance with IS 3218:2013.
- Have a well executed and practice Fire Escape Plan in place.
- Assign a Fire Safety Officer - who is responsible for Fire Safety within your business, get them to identify fire hazards and ways to prevent fires from happening.
- Ensure Fire Extinguishers are serviced in accordance with I.S.291:2015.
- Maintain all machinery to prevent over heating and friction sparks.
- Use and store all chemicals safely.
- Train all staff in Fire Safety.
- Smoke only in designated smoking areas.
- Know where your nearest fire exits are.
- Keep your work area free of waste paper, trash and other items that can easily catch fire.
- Carry out regular fire drills.
In event of fire:
- Exit the building by the nearest available exit.
- Manually sound fire alarm using red break glass units at your exit route.
- To avoid smoke inhalation stay low to the ground.
- Do not re-enter building until it has been declared safe by relevant person.
*Source: UK Home Office Computing Magazine.